The Washington, D.C. Chapter No.1 was founded by Ellen Gordon Allen, as the first chapter to be created outside of Tokyo, Japan. It is a vibrant, stimulating organization composed of many talented teachers of ikebana, practitioners and dedicated members. When you become a member, you will join a motivating organization that offers many ways to support you to enhance your ikebana experience and develop your talents.
Also, you will become a part of a worldwide network of ikebana artist who stand ready to show “friendship through flowers”
- FREE participation in General Workshops (member only). General Workshops provide a cultural program and demonstration from one of our many local artists. Ginza and lunch are provided.
- Discounted Registration to our exceptional Demonstrations/Luncheons by leading, qualified artists from around the U.S. and Japan.
- Participation in local, monthly Area Workshop(s). offering additional programs with demonstration and opportunity for hands-on experience.
- Access to Ikebana and Japanese merchandise through Ginza (Japanese Market) events.
- Access to participate in our Annual Exhibition and reception at the U.S. National Arboretum.
- Participation in Ikebana International World Convention and Regional Conferences.
- Bi-monthly Chapter Newsletter and monthly Highlight News.
- Award winning Ikebana International Magazine published three time per year.
- Access to our community resources, East Asian Arts and research libraries.
- Online and printed Membership Directory.
- Become skilled at learning flower identification and preparing flowers and foliage for arranging.
- Access to wholesale flower purchasing.
- Eligible to join Ikebana International’s 161 chapters worldwide. You can participate in chapters’ monthly meetings, enjoy ikebana demonstrations, exhibitions, workshops, fairs and other activities all around the world when you travel.
- Lessons with local credentialed teachers from ikebana schools.
- Ikebana International Magazine – A high quality magazine, printed on glossy paper, richly illustrated with color plates of ikebana-related topics and other cultural arts of Japan.
- I.I. Activities – A newsletter on the activities of Ikebana International and its chapters around the world.
- Sakura News – A newsletter reporting Ikebana International’s organizational news and events.
- Washington, D.C., Chapter No. 1 Newsletter – A bimonthly publication that reports on Chapter news, business, events and activities and is provided via email and mail to our members .
- Chapter No.1 Highlight News – A monthly publication with reminders and current events, emailed to our members.