The Washington, D.C. Chapter was founded by Ellen Gordon Allen, as the first chapter to be created outside of Tokyo, Japan. It is a vibrant, stimulating organization composed of many talented teachers of ikebana and dedicated members. We encourage you to enhance your ikebana experience, develop opportunities and expand “Friendship Through Flowers” by joining us.
When you become a member you will join a motivating organization that offers many ways to support you to enhance your ikebana experience and develop your talents.
Members benefit from a number of activities and have access to a variety of resources, as follows:
- FREE participation in three General Workshops (member only) per year.
- Member discounted registration to attend three Luncheon Demonstrations with leading and qualified teachers, artists and demonstrators.
- Participation in local, monthly Area Workshop(s). offering additional programs with demonstration and opportunity for hands-on experience.
- Access to Ikebana and Japanese vendors through Ginza events (Japanese Market).
- Access to participate in our Annual Exhibition and reception at the U.S. National Arboretum.
- Participation in Ikebana International World Convention and Regional Conferences.
- Bi-monthly Chapter Newsletter and monthly Highlight News.
- Ikebana International Magazine published three time per year.
- Access to our community resources, East Asian Arts and research libraries.
- Online and printed Membership Directory.
- Become skilled at flower identification and how to prepare flowers and foliage for arranging.
- Eligible to join Ikebana International’s 161 chapters worldwide, as Associates, to participate in chapters’ monthly meetings, enjoy ikebana demonstrations, exhibitions, workshops, fairs and other activities.
- Lessons with credentialed teachers from ikebana schools.
- Ikebana International Magazine – A high quality magazine, printed on glossy paper, richly illustrated with color plates of ikebana-related topics and other cultural arts of Japan.
- I.I. Activities – A newsletter on the activities of Ikebana International and its chapters around the world.
- Sakura News – A newsletter reporting Ikebana International organizational news and events.
- Washington, D.C., Chapter No. 1 Newsletter – A bimonthly publication that reports on Chapter news, business, events and activities and is provided via email to our members .
- Chapter No.1 Highlight News – A monthly online publication with reminders and current events.